So we found a dinner that our whole family, even the toddler, enjoys! So of course I wanted to share. It's also gluten free and fairly low effort, so it's great for a busy night!
2 spaghetti squash
2 large cans crushed tomatoes
1 green pepper
1 large onion
EVOO (or other cooking oil)
Spices to taste (I used sage, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, kosher salt, fresh parsley, fresh basil)
- Slice spaghetti squash in half the long way and scoop out seeds (you can prepare these just like pumpkin seeds!)
- Spread butter liberally along the insides of squash and sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Place squash facedown on a large cookie sheet (or any oven-safe dish) and bake for 50 mins at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. You want the inner flesh fork tender so you can easily scrape the spaghetti-like innards easily with a fork. Baking times may vary slightly, so start checking for doneness around 30-40 mins.
- When done, scrape squash innards out with a fork and place in large serving bowl. Alternately, you can add in innards right into your sauté pan (after you've made the sauce!).
- In a large sauté pan, sauté diced green peppers and diced onion. Add in spices and tomatoes and simmer for 10 mins.
- As a side, I popped some Udi's GF bread in the toaster, then buttered and sprinkled with garlic powder for an easy Garlic Bread.
- Top squash with sauce and enjoy!