I have never been a fan of asparagus, until I read about baking it!
1 lb. asparagus
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
block of your favorite cheese- smoked cheddar or parmesan work great!
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
(2) Cut the woody lower ends off asparagus and use a vegetable peeler to gently remove the skin from the stalks. The stalks are surprisingly delicate, so it takes a light touch to peel asparagus! I recommend peeling over a cutting board so you can easily salvage any pieces that snap while you're peeling (unlike I usually do and peel over the sink, thus loosing many a pieces to the depths of the garbage disposal... I digress).
(3) Cover a baking sheet lightly with olive oil. Using a silpat works well for this recipe too.
(4) Spread asparagus on baking sheet and cover with more olive oil, salt, and pepper.
(5) Grate cheese liberally over asparagus.
(6) Cook for 8-10 minutes and serve!