25 February 2011

Crustless Spinach Quiche

Sorry it's been a while, ladies! Things are a bit crazy around here, but I'll be posting some more stuff soon!! Thanks for stickin with me ;)

So I usually don't like quiches since I don't eat eggs. I used egg beaters for this recipe and absolutely loved this!! I was pleasantly surprised :) I wanted something simple to make for breakfast whilst my in-laws were visiting. My MIL often makes a quiche when we visit them, so I knew they'd like it. This was fabulous! It's called a "tart" in my cookbook, but I use the term quiche- if anyone knows the technical difference between the two, please do let me know! :) So here is my vegetarian tweaked recipe! Original recipe is from:: Incredibly Easy Gluten-Free recipes

.: quiche ingredients :.
1 tsp olive oil
1 c. finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
1 c. milk
3 eggs
1/4 c. grated parmesan
1 TB minced fresh basil OR 2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

.: topping ingredients :.
2 TB grated parmesan


.: directions :.
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch glass pie plate.
(2) Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic. Stir in spinach. Spread mixture evenly into pie plate.
(3) Combine the remaining quiche ingredients in a medium bowl and gently stir until combined. Pour mixture evenly into pie plate. Bake 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with the 2 TB parmesan topping.

.: notes :.
- I used Goya's extra virgin olive oil {that's essentially what we use in everything unless otherwise indicated!}
- I used 2% milk, as that's what we have in the house. I imagine any would type would work just fine though!
- As you can see in the photo, the spices all float to the top. Don't worry! That is how mine looked, and it tasted fabulous- not over spiced or anything :)
- I placed a cookie sheet on the rack below the rack that the quiche was on, just in case there's any overflow. The mixture pretty much fills a 9-inch pie plate to the brim, but I didn't end up having any overflow in the oven.

.: linking up to :.
Show and Tell Saturdays @ Be Different, Act Normal
Strut Your Stuff @ Saturday Mornings

2 comments:

laxsupermom said...

Yum! Sounds delish! I wouldn't even have to make any modifications to make it gluten-free. Looks like a lovely brunch option. Thanks for sharing.

RHome410 said...

It's beautiful and looks/sounds delicious. The spices floating on the top dress it up. :-)