24 February 2012

st patty's day wreath

Hey all!! Happy Friday! So this wreath combines three of my favorite things- Unity stamps, The Twinery twine, and St. Patrick's Day!! Being half Irish, it's a big holiday in our family :) After I finished the shamrocks, yarn balls, and fabric "flowers" for this wreath, I decided to make a banner and stamp on some felt! I was super excited that it worked so well!
.: materials :.
  • styrofoam wreath base
  • festive fabric
  • yarn (for background and balls)
  • felt (for shamrocks and banner)
  • straight pins & 2 decorative pins
  • twine (I used The Twinery's cantaloupe)
  • eyelets
  • eyelet setter (I use a Crop-A-Dile)
  • ink (I used Stazon's timber brown)
  • stamps (I used Unity's February Kit of the Month 2012)
  • scissors (regular and pinking shears)
.: directions :.
WREATH BASE::
  • wrap the wreath in twine
FABRIC FLOWERS::
  • cut out circles from your festive fabric in varying sizes. these will be used to make the "flowers" (6-10 circles per flower)
  • put a straight pin through the center of each circle, and pin into the wreath. pin the centers of the circles close to each other to create a nice full flower. continue pinning circles until you get a flower "fullness" that suits you :) most of mine are ~8 circles per flower, with some being fewer and some being more.
SHAMROCKS::
  • create your felt shamrocks (I used this tutorial here)
  • pin shamrocks to wreath using straight pins. I tried to hide the pins in some of the folds of felt near the center of the shamrock.
TWINE BALLS::
  • create yarn balls (good tutorial here) - I use two fingers to start my yarn balls, especially since the ones on this wreath are smaller, and I change directions every ~8 loops. Once you reach your desired ball size, carefully tie off the yarn.
  • pin balls to wreath with straight pins. I put the pin through a few yarn strands and then the knot where I tied off the yarn.
BANNER::
  • stamp images onto felt and cut out with pinking shears (or regular scissors)
  • attach eyelets to each corner of felt and connect with twine
  • attach banner to wreath with decorative pins
  • hang wreath and enjoy! :)

See how I used the same base and accessories to update this wreath in 2013- {see it here}! And check back here soon to see 2014's version! I love how easy it is to change up everything a bit each year :)


.: linkin up here :.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! I am all about wreaths lately, and love yours! I am hosting my 2nd link party, and would love for you to add this along with anything else you like!

http://www.mom4realky.blogspot.com/2012/02/4-real-friday-link-party-2.html

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Beautifully done! The colors and design caught my eye right away. Very creative.

Renonda said...

I love this! Can't wait to try it.

Jennifer said...

I love this wreath! It's perfect and the greens pop against the white so nicely! It's festive without being over the top! I have a party going on and I would love if you linked up!

http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/02/latest-greatest-friday-20.html

Debbiedoos said...

This is so cute Shauna. I love wreaths. Thanks for sharing.

Laurie @ Laurie's Little Bits of Creativity, etc. said...

Love the wreath! I'm visiting you via Debbiedoo's Newbie party and started following you.

http://www.laurieslittlebitsofcreativity.com/

RHome410 said...

Love those shamrocks and flowers!

Emma said...

This is really cute and I love the shamrock petal flowers!

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I linked up a wreath, too! Yours is so festive and pretty! I love the stamping touch, too

Unknown said...

This wreath is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I put a link to this post on my blog post today. Check it out!

http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/getting-into-st-patricks-day-spirit.html

I also am following you on GFC and Bloglovin.com (I don't do linky followers). I'd love for you to come visit!

Marilyn
4you-withlove.blogspot.com

Rose Clearfield said...

Beautiful wreath! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Simply Tasheena said...

Creative wreath. I would love for you to Link up at my Linky party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com


PS: I am your newest Linky Follower!

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Q @ JAQS said...

This is such a pretty wreath - great work on it!

Love for you to share this at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" linky party here:
http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

Tisha Clapp said...

Another pretty wreath! You are a yarn wrapping machine! Thanks for linking up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna! Another lovely wreath you made! BTW, I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!

Here is the link: http://doublethedecor.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-blog-award.html

Jennifer said...

You're a feature this week! Stop by and check yourself out!

http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/03/features-from-last-weeks-party.html

Alexis Tanner Lane said...

Love the wreath! Super cute idea!

Chrissy + Nate said...

What a great idea! I have never though of using twine to wrap a wreath form! And I use sewing pins too for attaching things to wreaths: it works great! Check out my wreath here:

everydaywiththejays.blogspot.com/2012/03/remember-that-st-patricks-dayspring.html

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing your stunng wreath tutorial and I hope you stop by and leave a comment :)
http://felting.craftgossip.com/2013/02/19/st-patricks-day-wreath-tutorial/#

Unknown said...

Great we can also use this as a decoration in birthday party, wedding celebration or other events.